Windows XP Home Freezes

User-86A77FD2-C005-4359-8AC8F5E5300F97D7 11:06 26 Feb 2005

Sometimes in the past my system froze at random times - control/alt/del did not even bring a response. If I left the machine running it eventually came to life again. However recently it has not recovered and remains frozen. The system works happily in "Safe Mode". I have tried to roll back using "System Resore", but I have never had any success in completeing the process- it tells me it can't do it. When I reboot the start-up gets as far as the Windows screen with the travelling blue cursor. The cursor makes four or five passes and then locks permanently.

Another problem - which might be related - is that the soundcard is totally disabled. I have intalled a new soundcard, but it does not seem to be recognised and no audio facilities are available.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Jak_1 12:51 26 Feb 2005

Have you tried re-installing the os? Having backed up any data files first.

Yes I reinstalled XP (as a repair, not a full reinstall). It seemed to help for a while, except that it was after the repair the I lost all access to the audio capabilities of the existing audio card. I then installed a new card, but I have not been able to get it to function in any way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?