Windows XP Home Edition Problem

mikelarbi 18:43 19 Jan 2007

My school, a missoinary school in Africa, recieved 15 brand new Dell Dimension 3100 Computers with original Windows XP Home Edtion installed. The school already has a network with a doamin controller, runing Windows 2003 server and the domain conputers are running Windows XP Professional (SP/2) how do I join the new 15 computers that has the Windows XP Home edition to the network. Help Please.
Thank you.

mymate 19:18 19 Jan 2007

Sorry i don't know,but i am "bumping" the thread back up to top,so some kind person will help you.

Burpie 21:01 19 Jan 2007

Windows XP Home, by design, doesn't support domain-based networking.

You'll need Windows XP Professional to join/access domains.

I'd check your order details and contact Dell, explain the situation, and see what can be done to resolve it.

Regards, Burpie

mymate 21:17 19 Jan 2007

Thanks Burpie.

Rabi 18:17 20 Jan 2007

I have a similar situation, also a school, with a mix of donated computers, some old, some very new, the old running Windows XP Professional SP2, and the new running Windows XP Home. No budget for upgrading software, can't upgrade the XPHome to XP Professional. I am told our Server runs a "Domain Controller", whatever that is ...

I do not have any clues on Networking; would running LINUX on te Server solve this problem??

Would be interested in a solution to mikelarbi's problem. Anyone??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 21 Jan 2007
  kjrider 18:11 21 Jan 2007

I think XP home only lets you network 5 PCs.

Burpie 01:22 22 Jan 2007

This sums it up:

The simple answer is that the Home edition of XP is not supposed to join a Domain and it was never intended to do so.

(Link to hack removed)

The above hack is a work around but it will sacrifice a lot of functionality of a Domain and really isn't the answer the only correct answer is to upgrade to XP Pro so you get all the benefits of using a Domain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone