WIndows XP Home Edition Freezing

Airman5877 16:38 04 Jan 2011

My computer freezes during loadup and will not load past the first blue screen (with the Windows Logo and wording Windows XP). I restored to a point which did not resolve a problem I had so I tried an earlier restore point. I have been able to get the computer into safe mode but again it would not load past the first blue screen (before the Welcome) - it just stops loading and freezes. In safe mode I tried the option `restore to the last known confirguration which worked` but again it would not load past the first blue screen. Any ideas how to get it into a position where I can try to restore to say, 31 December?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 04 Jan 2011

Restore XP

Boot to the command prompt and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

spuds 17:26 04 Jan 2011

I don't like to say this, but a couple of months back, I had a similar problem. In the end, after trying a few things, I gave up and did a reformat.

Have you done any recent clean-ups, or registry 'improvements'?.

Airman5877 20:53 04 Jan 2011

Fruit Bat. Thank you. It`s 2100 here and a bit late to try your suggestion but I will do later tomorrow and will report back. Spuds - Yes, I have done CC Cleaner, Malwarebytes and Spybot checks. I thought I had originally fallen foul of Antivirus Action but I`m not sure that I did because I can find no trace of it. I had Microsoft Updates 1-8 after which I could not get on-line (IE could not display Webpage). I got an AVG Resident Shield Alert too. Hence, I tried to restore to 31 December which didnt get me back on line so I restored to 5 November and on restart everything froze. This is only a backup computer that is `my problem` but it is very annoying and I dont like problems which I cannot solve

Airman5877 16:49 05 Jan 2011

I tried what you suggested but nothing has changed. I went into safe mode, command prompt and the list of System 32 scrolled down the screen then the screen went black with `safe mode` in each corner. That changed to the dark blue and light blue screen with Windows XP Logo. There it froze. I can move the curser around the screen but nothing else. I cannot get Start Menu up or anything else. I cannot reformat because it is an old computer and the CD Drive went months ago. Looks as if I am going to have to ditch it

GaT7 17:03 05 Jan 2011

If you install your main computer's CD/DVD drive into the old PC you should be able to reformat & reinstall.

If you eventually end up ditching it, consider offering it on your local FreeCycle click here. It would be recommended to retain the hard drive or use a free program to wipe its contents permanently with Dban click here or Eraser click here before giving it away. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 05 Jan 2011

Floppy drive?

6 XP boot disks to allow you to get to recovery console
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?