WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

vicky2009 15:39 07 Apr 2009

Hi folks, this may sound like a really stupid question but I want to install Windows XP home edition onto my pc but Im not sure which one to buy.... i.e N edition, OEM version??? Its all too complicated for me. Can anyone help please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 07 Apr 2009

OEM is original equipment manufacturer and means that when the machine dies the XP licence also dies you cannot then reinstall on another machine.

N edition does not contain windows media player.

Why do you want to instal XP? What does it have now?

vicky2009 15:48 07 Apr 2009

It has a dodgy version of Professional on it so I would rather install a legal version of Home edition.

vicky2009 15:49 07 Apr 2009

so do you think the OEM version would be ok for my pc? It is 5 years old.

chub_tor 16:01 07 Apr 2009

The OEM version of XP Home will be fine for your PC. A 5 year old PC is unlikely to be a suitable candidate for Vista (but there are exceptions particularly if you have a lot of RAM and a highly specced machine).

However if you buy the OEM version it will not be supported by Microsoft and as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says you will not be able to transfer this operating system onto another machine in the future.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:03 07 Apr 2009

Yes OEM would be fine. check prices and be careful you don't get another dodgy version.

You could get your version changed to a legal version by changing the product key via Windows Genuine Offer click here this would save you having to reload all your programs etc.

vicky2009 16:44 07 Apr 2009

....and my last question... a few of them have sp1a and sp2... do I need to buy sp1a or can I start with sp2?

Clapton is God 16:50 07 Apr 2009

"do I need to buy sp1a or can I start with sp2?"

You can go straight to SP3 (if available) - it includes all updates covered by the other two

vicky2009 16:52 07 Apr 2009

Thanks folks, you have been a big help.

birdface 16:55 07 Apr 2009

If you have a COA sticker with Microsoft Home edition keycode on the side or back of your computer .Just borrow any XP Home disc and use that, and then enter the keycode on the COA sticker.Cost.Nothing providing you have the proper keycode.

VOT Productions 17:46 07 Apr 2009

OEM is original equipment manufacturer and means that when the machine dies the XP licence also dies you cannot then reinstall on another machine however backup wpa.dpl file in system32 and then when reinstall go to Safe Mode and swap files

N edition does not contain windows media player.
and when the machine dies the XP licence also dies you cannot then reinstall on another machine however backup wpa.dpl file in system32 and then when reinstall go to Safe Mode and swap files

However I'll recommed OEM version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?