Windows XP Home Clean Install – Am I going mad?

Greengage 21:54 26 Oct 2006

-Or just had a few too many tonight.

I have been mucking about with Acronis today and whilst I have had it for about a year now, my only experience of restore was from an internal drive so I decided to test it through my external hard drive. Everything worked fine and so before concluding matters, I decided to clean install XP Home again just with the OS, installing any necessary drivers from my manufacturer’s CD which had not been picked up by XP (and they were needed), together with the normal utilities. This was so that I could then get Acronis to back it up to avoid any future installs of XP but I was going to revert to my current day version, through Acronis, afterwards. It was when I was nearing the end of this process that I happened to go into Windows Explorer and found that in My Computer were Programs, which showed the likes of Office, Acronis, Works etc. which I had not loaded. It also showed a My Documents file so I guess these were remnant of my previous hard disk that was loaded. The programs did not open when double clicked, nor did they appear in Add or Remove Programs but the files in My Documents did open, albeit with Notepad rather than MS Word which I had not yet installed.

Can anyone explain this nonsense and how it has come about when I did carry out a clean install of XP?

Fingees 10:15 27 Oct 2006

You can't do a clean install of XP without booting from the cd, AND formatting the hard drive, thereby removing all the data from it effectively.

Greengage 10:22 27 Oct 2006

But I am sure I did that, although I am getting some doubts. I can't work out how I had to install all the utility programs, Windows Updates and drivers etc only to find that Programs were showing, although not opening. I have since found that My Downloads is there as well and another program which I did install opened showing all the data and photographs without having loaded them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?