Windows xp home addition - word? powerpoint?

smilodon 21:11 11 Sep 2006

I recently bought a laptop with windows XP Home edition but I cannot find either word or Powerpoint ! I assumed they would be avaiable on this OS? Please advise- simply please!! Thanks

VoG II 21:12 11 Sep 2006

No, they are components if Microsoft Office which you need to purchase separately. Or use Open Office (free) click here

sil_ver 21:14 11 Sep 2006

If you wern't supplied with a copy of MS Office or a stripped down version of same then you won't find it on the XP O/S as it is not part of it.

€dstowe 22:05 11 Sep 2006

MS Office is expensive - I'll back VoG™'s suggestion to go with OpenOffice. It's excellent and it's FREE!!!!!

OpenOffice is compatible with Word etc. so no problems of not being able to read Word documents - or people being able to read your OO documents with the Microsoft Office.

palinka 22:09 11 Sep 2006

XP is the operating system (OS).
Word is software that you can use with that operating system or with any other OS.
Word is part of a complete software package called Microsoft Office that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and some other bits & pieces. You buy "Office" separately , though some retailers include it in some PC packages aimed at commercial users (but the price is costed-in and it tends to be systems at the expensive end that include it).
As VoG™ says, there are alternatives and they are compatible with MS Office. otherwise you'll have to get your chequebook out again........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?