Windows XP Home - Activation?

pj123 12:01 11 May 2005

Just got a friends PC (Packard Bell) in. He says "It doesn't work".

Don't know anything other than that, but when I switch it on I get

"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now? Yes/No."

There is a modem fitted but no active Internet connection.

What's the next step please, and can I do it or does the owner have to do it.

I have never had XP myself (Win 98SE) and all other friends I have have never mentioned having to do this activation bit.

Thanks

Mr Scone 12:29 11 May 2005

As long as your friend has a legal copy of Windows XP you can use the product licence key (often found on the PC itself or with the documentation which came with the computer) to activate Windows. This is very simple and can be done either online (following v simple steps) or over the phone. It's been a long time since I actually activated my copy of Windows so can't remember the exact procedure. Just click activate and see where it takes you.

MS

Mr Scone 12:32 11 May 2005

...because there's no internet connection you'll have to phone up. That's not a problem though, it just takes a bit longer due to the v long numbers you need to deal with over the phone. It's all automated and you have to type in the numbers on your phones keypad.

Hope this helps

MS

pj123 13:13 11 May 2005

Thank you Mr Scone. Do you (or anyone else) know the telephone number to get the activation?

There is a sticker on the side of the computer with the Product Key on it.

wiz-king 13:25 11 May 2005

The phone number is on the activation screen, it asks you to choose a country then tells you the number to dial. It is a very simple thing to do, you tell the answering computer the code by dialing it in, you then receive a list of numbers four at a time to type into your computer, if you get an error you can press another key to get a repeat of the numbers. Takes about 5 mins.

BH34 13:26 11 May 2005

You can also use the following phone numbers to obtain volume licence product keys from our UK activation centre - 0800 018 8354 and 0870 2411963.

Please have all your current volume licence agreement details available before you call the centre.

pj123 14:19 11 May 2005

I tried the number 0800 018 8354.

I was asked to enter 9 blocks of 6 numbers which were on the screen. After entering all the numbers as and when asked I got a message saying: "the numbers you have entered have not been verified"

I was then shunted through to someone called "Rosie" who asked me for the first 6 numbers. I read them out and all I got then was:

"The other person has cleared." So, not so simple.

I give up. It goes back to the owner.

Another reason for not switching to XP then!

DieSse 14:46 11 May 2005

I've never had a problem with telephone (or internet) activation - I recommend you to try again.

PS - and I have to do it in Spanish, with a Voice Recognition/Response system - ha!

dave_and_confused 15:19 11 May 2005

However i would use the number displayed on your friends PC and not the ones listed above as they are for Volume Licensing - ie when you are licensing loads of PCs. Might be a different number for Home PCs.

pj123 16:23 11 May 2005

I have now tried it 3 times. Same results.

I like a quiet life. Can't stand all this hassle.

I have win98SE. I switch it on, it works. It does what I want it to do. I back it up regularly and have had no problems.

I have left a message on his ansafone to ring me, so that I can find out some more info.

pj123 18:10 11 May 2005

Just had a call from my friend. He says he has had this computer for 18 months and has never been asked for "activation" before. So why has it suddenly stopped working and asking for activation?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie