Windows XP - Hide Inactive Icons Tweak?

VoG II 23:41 28 Aug 2005

I have 'Hide inactive icons' ticked in the Taskbar properties.

This means that after a while, icons in the Notification Area that have not been active 'disappear' but can be revealed by clicking on the just to the left. This suits me fine.

What I was wondering was whether there was a registry tweak or similar that would make the inactive ones 'disappear' after a shorter period of inactivity.

stalion 00:07 29 Aug 2005

could have a look here not sure if it does what you want click here

stalion 00:08 29 Aug 2005

could have a look here not sure if it does what you want click here

stalion 00:10 29 Aug 2005

good morning could have a look here not sure if it does what you want though click here

stalion 00:11 29 Aug 2005

good morning could have a look here not sure if it does what you want though click here

stalion 00:13 29 Aug 2005

sorry about the extra posts kept getting time out

VoG II 10:27 29 Aug 2005

Hi stalion

Unfortunately click here toggles between hiding or not hiding but doesn't change the time period.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 29 Aug 2005

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\Current version\explorer\HideDesktopIcons

Try setting a value in ther and see what happens.

Of course no need to remind you to back up the registry first. :0)

VoG II 11:54 29 Aug 2005

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/
As far as I can tell the keys in there correspond to whether the desktop cleanup wizard runs every 60 days or not.

It is only the 'disappearing time' for the icons in the Notification Area that I want to change.

I have a feeling that this cannot be done - I've found this question asked elsewhere but not answered. I'll leave it open for a while longer just in case...

Eric10 12:36 29 Aug 2005

This may not be what you are after so you may already know that you can manually set individual icons to 'Always hide' via Customize in the 'Hide inactive icons' area of the Taskbar Properties.

VoG II 12:44 29 Aug 2005

Thanks Eric10 but that is not what I want to do.

As an example, when I start up my anti-virus icon appears in the Notification Area. This is handy because it reassures me that my AV is working. But I don't want it to be displayed for very long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?