Windows XP help needed !

dinglewolves 08:20 10 Nov 2006

Hey folks, about four years ago my then boyfriend had me a pc built for xmas. it was only recently i joined the internet and so i updated everything on my pc online. it has now come about that my version of windows xp is invalid and i have 5 days left to sort it out! after calling him all the cheapskates under the sun,i rang some foreigner in the middle of nowhere from microsoft. he was of little use! you lot are my last resort. i take it i am going to have to buy a new version of xp from a retailer? if i do can i install it so that i don't lose any info like pics and college work? i havent got a cd burner so it is really hard to make back ups!!!!! any help much appreciated!

anskyber 08:25 10 Nov 2006

Yes, you can get your copy legitimised without losing everything. But a strong piece of advice is back everything up anyway, copy to CDs or something like that, you are risking loss of your data irrespective of the XP status.

Ring MS themseves and get advice, from memory (it has not affected me) you pay for the software and you get a key to make everything legal.

Simsy 08:37 10 Nov 2006

got a CD burner, then get an external hard drive to make your backups on.

They run from a USB socket, and though they cost a few pounds, you need to weigh this against the cost of your current hard drive failing and you loosing everything!

For example... click here

or a "standard" HDD... click here

with a USB enclosure... click here.

You say you don't have a CD burner. Assuming you have a CD rom drive you could fit a DVD burner, for less than £30, as a straight swap... they are the same fittings, and a DVD burner will play/burn CDs and DVD's

click here

(I've used ebuyer as an example... obviously there are other reputable suppliers as well!)

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

dinglewolves 08:42 10 Nov 2006

thanks guys, now next question, how much is windows xp and where can i get a copy at a reasonable price?!

vinnyT 13:24 10 Nov 2006

£56.30 inc VAT from ebuyer click here. This is oem, so you may have to buy something to qualify for it (usually a floppy disk drive will do, around £5), though there is usually no prob.

PS, your previous BF, may not have known the the OS supplied with the pc was/is dodgy, this something many pc builders did to cut cost, illeagl of course, so don't be to hard on him (unless you have another reason;-).

Hope this helps.

Totally-braindead 13:35 10 Nov 2006

If you go through with the Microsoft thing when it says about your copy being illegal it will give you the opportunity to buy a legit copy of XP, how much this is I am unsure.

rodriguez 14:03 10 Nov 2006

When I was working at a computer place the boss thought it was a really good idea to make self-installing copies of Windows that we could just leave there to install. This was fine with Win 98, but as XP needs validating now, this would cause problems with customer's Windows copies being identified as counterfeit - the place has now shut down so anyone who bought a computer from there are stuck. It's usually smaller shops that do this to save money - you don't need to worry about bigger places such as PC World doing it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 10 Nov 2006

Bigfix click here wll download and install all security patches when they become available, with out you needing to use microsoft update.

dinglewolves 06:47 11 Nov 2006

ok thanks guys, but....

VinnyT - what is OEM?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - does that mean i won't need to upgrade my microsoft or is that just shutting the gate after the horse has bolted?

sorry for being a bit thick!!!!

dinglewolves 07:01 11 Nov 2006

ps this is my diagnostic, what version of xp am i running?

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0717.0):
-----------------------------------------
WGA Data-->
Validation Status: Not Activated
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=
Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00102
Windows Product ID Type: 2
Windows License Type: OEM SLP
Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
ID: 33507177-1d25-4aa5-8b18-f122a1a16037
Is Admin: Yes
AutoDial: No
Registry: 0x0
WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.716.0
Signed By: Microsoft
Validation Diagnostic:
Resolution Status: N/A

System Scan Data-->
Scan: Complete
Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A
File Exists: No
Version: N/A
WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

brundle 07:32 11 Nov 2006

if you're on broadband, back up your documents free
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?