windows xp help files

Mat E Low 13:28 05 Nov 2003

hi
I cannot bring up my help and support centre prog,
and the file search prog says files are missing.
Is it safe to run Windows set up?

beeuuem 13:50 05 Nov 2003

To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right click and choose install. Have your CD handy.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.

Stuartli 14:11 05 Nov 2003

They should have been installed during the original installation - they are considered to be the most comprehensive Microsoft has ever produced and previous ones have been first class.

The Help and Support section can also link to the net for additional assistance and troubleshooting purposes.

Mat E Low 14:23 05 Nov 2003

thanks beeuuem
cant find a file named pchealth.inf, only pchealth.
Tried that one, and the prog asked to be pointed to a filed on the windows cd that it cant find.
So back to square 1

beeuuem 14:29 05 Nov 2003

Have you done the bit about showing hidden files?

Mat E Low 14:35 05 Nov 2003

Yes I have have checked the hidden file box, these files come up in a pale colour. I have also run sfc, but no joy. As the file search option is also now not working it makes life even more difficult. I did suspect a virus but the virus check says the sytem is clear. I have aslo tried system restore but that doesnt work.
Every thing was OK until I uninstalled mcafee.

beeuuem 14:45 05 Nov 2003

You could look through the suggestions click here under 'H'and help and support.

If you are running Easy Cleaner:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie