Windows XP help

danny0001uk 12:13 23 Mar 2003

I want to free up space on my c drive and i want to know if i can delete every folder apart from my windows one

thankyou

Danny

MAJ 12:20 23 Mar 2003

No. Start by going to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. When cleaning your hard drive, try not to delete anything if you don't know what it does.

Forum Editor 12:21 23 Mar 2003

For a start, deleting folders isn't the right way to free up space on the drive - you will delete program files, but their will still be references to them in the Windows registry. You would end up with a highly unstable and unworkable system.

A better course of action is to uninstall any application that you don't use, and delete (or trnasfer to removable media) any data files that aren't necessary. By and large it isn't data files which take up space (apart from big images), it's programs.

Work carefully and mthodically, removing programs you don't use, and when you're finished defrag the drive. If you still don't have the space you need, look into buying a second hard drive - they aren't that expensive.

Forum Editor 12:23 23 Mar 2003

sorry for that, and 'mthodically' and 'trnasfer'............it's one of those days.

VoG™ 12:25 23 Mar 2003

Whatever happened to the research that you were doing on peoples' typing errors?

Sorry to hikjack your thread danny0001uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?