Windows XP hardware upgrades a nuciance or wot ??

Tinkey Winkey 19:33 19 Jun 2004

I'd like to upgrade to windows xp at some point but have been put off by the thought of having to contact microsoft for an activation code every time I change my hardware setup ?

As I'm often tinkering ,swapping graphic cards and other components willy nilly to see if I can damage my PC ,does this mean I have to contact microsoft for a new xp activation code every time, or has someone been having a laugh at my expense !?

Do you get your activation code(s) via email/telephone/post, or do you have to send them a retina scan first to proove it's your flippin' OS or wot ?

How does it work please ?

VoG II 19:36 19 Jun 2004

I've changed graphics card, added CDRW, added RAM, WIFI card, scanner - never had to reactivate.

Tinkey Winkey 19:40 19 Jun 2004

So you only need ONE activation code when registering within the first 30 days then yes ??

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:45 19 Jun 2004

My computer has had more hardware put in and taken out than B&Q, never had to reactivate. Even if you have to reactivate, it only takes 30 seconds or so electronically.

G

Mikè 20:07 19 Jun 2004

It can be an issue if you get an oem version of XP , but no problem otherwise.

PSF 20:16 19 Jun 2004

I have only re-activated after a system repair or I fitted a second hard drive to my other pc and did a new installation of XP. It is activated at the end of the installation.

On my pc I have recently installed a new graphics card, 2nd hard drive and DVD/RW without re-activating.

Irishman 20:16 19 Jun 2004

Have had to reactivate a few times but only once because of hardware (new hard drive) the rest because of constant fiddling leading to reinstalling XP!

Tinkey Winkey 20:16 19 Jun 2004

Mike,
could you expand on this please ?

PSF 20:24 19 Jun 2004

Have a look at the link for more info on activation. click here

Tinkey Winkey 20:27 19 Jun 2004

I see ,it seems to me that an activation code is only required when a fresh install of xp is required e.g. hdd format and reinstall or new hdd.

So presumably you have to get a new code on reinstalling - or can you still use the original registration code ?

PSF 20:44 19 Jun 2004

You use the same code, if your pc is connected to the internet when you install it will detect the connection activate itself if you say yes. If not you have 30 days to activate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?