Windows XP Hangs on start up

Rockarch 09:58 21 Aug 2009

I posted a similar message last month when the same thing happened. That time it resolved itself but am having problems this time.

A pc running xp pro with sp3 was fine yesterday. On starting up this morning it boots as far as the black screen with the windows xp logo on it and then just seems to hang...

I have tried booting it with last known good config and I get the same hanging on the black screen. I have just tried to boot it in Safe Mode and all I have got is a screen full of commands(?) that all begin:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt\system32\drivers\ and then this is a different driver on each line.
Nothing else is happening.

Please help as I don't know what else to do
Thanks

Rockarch 10:49 21 Aug 2009

Hi
I have been trying some self help and am now really worried.
I pressed F2 while trying to boot up again and had a look at the BIOS settings but didn't make any changes.
When it then tried to start again I got a message saying 'Operating System not found' on a black screen, and nothing more.

Please would someone help as we desparately need this pc to work.
Thanks

birdface 10:51 21 Aug 2009

Have you tried system restore in Safe mode.

Rockarch 11:12 21 Aug 2009

When I try and boot in safe mode I just get to a screen full of text like this
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt\system32\drivers\ and then this is a different driver on each line. Is there something to press to get past this?

How do I get to system restore?

I have just dug out the original XP disc - it was an upgrade disk to Win2000Pro - can I use that to get it to boot?

Thanks for your help

rdave13 11:18 21 Aug 2009

Have a look here; click here

Rockarch 11:29 21 Aug 2009

When I try and get the system to boot, it gets as far as the black windows screen and then hangs.
The BIOS is recognising the hard drive,I think it is a drivers problem but don't know what to do about it.

Recovery Console sounds complicated as I have SP3 on the computer and only the original CD prior even to SP1

How do I get to system restore?

woodchip 11:53 21 Aug 2009

If you have anything pluged into USB remove it then try booting, or pull it out when it hangs

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:28 21 Aug 2009

probably a driver problem therefore it should boot into safemode.

boot to safemode and if it get stuck note the last line of text and report it back here, i'm willing to bet it stops at \mup.sys

:0)

PcTestCard.com 12:52 21 Aug 2009

Seems like the HDD is having the problem.

Reseat the HDD cable, and boot the PC using the xp boot cd, then run the chkdsk c: /r/v to scan the HDD.

Hope this helps!
Bill

birdface 12:57 21 Aug 2009

System restore.All programs.Accessories.System tools and system restore.

Or this.

System restore.Copy and paste into command prompt. %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe,

Rockarch 13:34 21 Aug 2009

Fruitbat - you're right - it stops at \mup.sys

What does that mean and what do I do about it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?