Windows XP hangs at shutdown

AngelicAngel 21:23 01 Jan 2007

Hi
I've just recently purchased a Packard Bell IMedia 2470. Everything was working great until I installed and Advent ADE-13MP+ Webcam. Since I have installed this webcam my pc hangs at the windows is shutting down screen and I have to power it down by pressing the button. I think this shutdown problem is something to do with the camera as I uninstalled it and the pc seemed to shut down ok. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be happening? I have also right clicked on the icon on the task bar and exited it before shutting down but this didn't make any difference still hung at the shutdown window.
Any help would be greatfully received.
Thanks in advance

Technotiger 21:41 01 Jan 2007

Hi, I hope you can find the answer here ...

click here

anskyber 22:52 01 Jan 2007

Some use this to control errant programs click here

woodchip 22:56 01 Jan 2007

Go to Control Panel under System Sounds Disable the Shut Down sound it may be corrupt

Ptolemy 23:17 01 Jan 2007

Auto kill tasks on shutdown
-----------------------------------
To allow Windows XP to close non-responsive applications automatically upon shutdown:

REGEDIT and navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop'
Highlight the value 'AutoEndTasks.' Change the value to '1

Increasing XP shutdown speed - Reducing wait times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The first part of this tweak deals with setting the amount of time Windows will take to kill open applications on shutdown.

REGEDIT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' Set value to '1000' (from 20000).
Highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value Set it to '1000'

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' value. Set it to '1000' (the default should be 20000).
Highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value. Set it to '1000' also.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ControlHighlight the value 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout' Change this value to '1000.'

AngelicAngel 13:06 02 Jan 2007

Hi
Thanks to all for the help with this problem. I tried all what was mentioned and nothing changed. I decided to unistall the webcam again but this time it didn't resolve the shutdown problem. All I can think of is that I had disabled something in MSCONFIG, so I have re-enabled everything in there. Still it stayed the same. I decided to reinstall the webcam again but omitting the videoimpression software ( which I don't really need). Since I put this back in and enabled all the startup programs it shuts down no problem. So not really sure what I have managed to do, although now the icon for the webcam does not show up on the taskbar. Whether that is what was causing the problem I don't know.
Thanks again for all the help it's much appreciated.

Technotiger 13:12 02 Jan 2007

Glad you got it sorted anyway ... Happy New Year

Stuartli 13:59 02 Jan 2007

Could be some clues here:

click here

Technotiger 14:02 02 Jan 2007

Hi Friend ... Snap!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017