windows xp goes to sleep when loaging up

PHOENIX51 18:47 25 Dec 2006

Can anybody advise on the following problem:

1. When i turn on the pc the system goes through start up as normal until:

2. standard windows screen with loading bar, then pc 'goes to sleep'.

3. occasionally dos screen comes up saying windows may have been shut down incorrectly via system failure/power failure and gives you about 5 options like:

start in safe mode, safe mode with networking e.t.c. I have tried all 5 options with no success. All you get is point number 2 above.

I have tried starting up using norton 2006 cd-rom. It then runs a virus check with the result of virus free.

Really stuck anyone got ideas

thanks

mark

Kingfisher 19:00 25 Dec 2006

try booting from installation disk make sure bios is set to boot from cdrom then carry out an xp repair the installaation disk will guide you through it, make sure you select repair or you will lose all of you programs and will have to reinstall them click here

If you cant boot from xp cd then it is something more serious possibly psu failing, maybe some experience techies may repond later.
good luck

PHOENIX51 20:04 25 Dec 2006

What can i do if i dont have the windows xp cd. I bought it from a retailer with xp already installed on the pc and i did not recieve the xp disc
thanks

Kingfisher 20:17 25 Dec 2006

without the original xp disk or retailers recovery disk I do not know how to help you further, try safe mode again and see if you are given the option for system restore, but it doesn't look good sorry I cant help you further, post again tomorrow might be more techies about good luck

woodchip 21:27 25 Dec 2006

Try starting and keep tapping F8, Then retry Safe Mode at the top of the list. If you can get into safe mode, Try running System Restore

PHOENIX51 11:52 26 Dec 2006

after pressing F8 and getting on too the windows advanced options menu I selected Safe Mode as you suggested.
Started to load up but came up with a window saying

THE SYSTEM IS NOT FULLY INSTALLED. PLEASE RUN SET UP AGAIN.
...pressed OK AND THE SET UP DIDN'T WORK AGAIN.

Started again pressed F8 ...etc. etc....selected last known good config (your most recent settings which worked) ....DOS screen pops up saying...

WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CURROPT...

/WINDOWS/system32/config/SYSTEM

the msg continues...you can attempt to repair by starting windows set-up using the original setup CD rom....select the letter R at the first screen...

I don't have the original set-up CD any suggestions?

Hertz Van Rentyl 12:47 26 Dec 2006

Is there a recovery option at bootup, you may have a hidden partition on the hard drive with the system recovery on it. If you had some paperwork with your machine have a look through it and see if there is an option to recover.

woodchip 23:35 26 Dec 2006

Can you borrow a CD? You do not need the Key to run repair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache