Windows XP Frozen?

Mike D 10:02 17 Jul 2010

I am due to visit my brother in law tomorrow to look at his PC. He tells me that once Windows has loaded as far as the desktop his mouse is frozen in the centre of the screen.
My thoughts are that it is not his mouse (he has tried another with the same result) but rather Windows itself, which may be corrupted. I would guess that if the keyboard is also unresponsive, I should be prepared for a repair install.

Can anyone please confirm my reasoning? (Or suggest other possible causes)

gengiscant 10:25 17 Jul 2010

You don't say if its a USB or a PS2 mouse/mice that is freezing.

Mike D 10:39 17 Jul 2010

He tells me it is both, but I'm not fully convinced that if he has used a USB mouse that he hasn't also used a ps2 adaptor with it.

gengiscant 10:44 17 Jul 2010

This my help? click here

Mike D 11:44 17 Jul 2010

Thanks gengiscant, I will be seeing the PC tomorrow, so I'll let you now what happens.

woodchip 11:51 17 Jul 2010

Try starting in Safe Mode tapping F8 then at the top of list is safe mode the you will need to tap enter a couple of times to get in. then in safe mode right click the desktop\Properties\Settings\Advanced see if you can get to the the Graphics Acceleration slider and move it down. then reboot and try if it worked

woodchip 11:52 17 Jul 2010

Try starting in Safe Mode tapping F8 then at the top of list is safe mode the you will need to tap enter a couple of times to get in. then in safe mode right click the desktop\Properties\Settings\Advanced see if you can get to the the Graphics Acceleration slider and move it down. then reboot and try if it worked. You may be able to do it if you know how to use the keyboard to navigate in Windows to do the above

Mike D 14:49 17 Jul 2010

Thanks, I will look at that, but when I asked him to start in safe mode yesterday evening, he did say that the mouse was still inoperable, thus preventing any right clicking.

Mike D 13:21 18 Jul 2010

Well I went to look at the machine and Windows appeared to load as normal, but the arrow wasstuck in the middle of the screen. I tried 2 usb mice and the original ps2 mouse, no joy. Safe mode was no better and system restore did not cure it, so I did a Repair install; lo and behold, all working fine with the ps2 mouse. So I then tried the usb mouse and I'm back to square one with an frozen arrow.
So, unless anyone has any further ideas, I will do another repair install after lunch.

johndrew 13:46 18 Jul 2010

Could be a number of causes.

Have you the latest/correct drivers for the mouse installed?

Could you move the pointer during boot as it appeared on the screen?

Try the mouse on a sheet of white paper.

Could also be a dead mouse!!

Sorry no other ideas.

johndrew 13:48 18 Jul 2010

There is one other possibility. Has the PC been infected? Run a full AV scan to be sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?