windows xp, fresh install, wont update..

larchwoodmark 11:27 12 Jan 2014
Answered

hi, i just reloaded my pc from win xp sp3 disc. all went smooth, but i cant access the windows update page.. just get an error page.. oops, what did i do wrong.. thanks in advance mark

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:54 12 Jan 2014

Is IE working at all?

XP will only go upto IE8, not sure if IE6 (that came with XP) now works on update page so you may need to update IE before doing any other updates.

larchwoodmark 20:29 14 Jan 2014

sorry for the delay, but i have been without a working computer for a few days...

fruitbat /\0/\, i think you are correct, but it wouldn't let me update via windows, had to try elsewhere, still not sure how it upgraded....

Jock1e, tried both ways and seem to be getting somewhere in updates..

many thanks guys mark

alanrwood 20:45 14 Jan 2014

Just posting this so I can add this to my subscribed topics. Having similar problem with XP installs from 2 different install disks (Genuine ones at that). Updated to SP3 and IE8 but can't actually get on to the update page where the progress bar lets you know that it is doing the search after the page that says "Checking for latest version of Windows Update". No security software installed and tried with Windows Firewall turned off. Tried the Fix-it. Any suggestions

larchwoodmark 22:21 14 Jan 2014
Answer

i think its sorted..

method i tried..

fresh install winxp sp3 and validated...

load pc drivers...

downloaded IE8....

still unable to update..hung up at validation...

reset automatic update to start on the hour..

just updated all on its own in the background..

thanks for pointing me in the right direction

mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?