Windows XP freezes on Toshiba Tecra 9000

Gus2006 21:57 02 Oct 2006

I have bought an old laptop Toshiba Tecra 9000(P3 256mb memory), formatted the hard drive, bought XP (home) and installed it. When XP loads it works OK until it reaches the 'Welcome' screen. At this point it freezes and then frees up about 5 mins later. Once XP has eventually loaded it freezes every minute or so for about 30 seconds and then frees up again.

The laptop does have a sticker on it which says designed for XP so I don't think it's under spec'd

Please help!

STREETWORK 22:03 02 Oct 2006

I think the CMOS battery needs changing or the boot ini file is corrupt in which case you need the xp disk and boot with in inserted, when prompted select 'repair' option. This will load a new boot ini file.

Also.

Check in msconfig what is loading at start up, there could be software that was unistalled but windows is still expecting it to be there. START - RUN - type msconfig , then check the start up options, remove the ticks from any programs you know you do not need to load when windows boots...

woodchip 22:07 02 Oct 2006

What about all the Drivers to Support XP. This is most likely your problem

megapack 22:26 02 Oct 2006

When you formatted the hard drive, did you delete the previous partition? The reason I ask is because I came across this problem a few weeks ago on someone's desktop. It had XP already installed and someone tried a reinstall and took the default partition, which was only 2GB. By the time XP loaded up it would lockup within a few mins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?