Windows XP freezes during startup

tallboy 19:41 14 Jun 2007

On a few occasions over the past couple of weeks my Windows XP PC has frozen during startup. It gets as far as the startup bar across the bottom of the screen followed by a very dim image of the Windows XP screen, but doesn't get any further.

I then have to do a power down, after which (on starting again) I get the MS-DOS error screen message saying 'unfortunately there was an error during the last startup, please choose one of the following options' (or words to that effect.)

If I choose to go back to the last known good configuration, I get the same result. If I choose startup in Safe Mode, the PC will start up correctly - in safe mode. If I then run Registry Mechanic, to clean up the registry (even though I may have done it the day before) the PC will then start up correctly in normal mode.

Its as if something is making it 'stick' at the same place during the startup routines that are normally occuring when the Windows XP screen is showing. (i.e. Before you get to the log-in screen.)

Anyone got any ideas how to find / fix the problem without having to clean up the registry whislt in Safe Mode?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Tallboy

skidzy 20:11 14 Jun 2007

First thing to try is the system file checker.

Start/run and type
sfc /scannow and enter

Note the space /

Understanding sfc click here

This will replace any corrupt windows files that may exist.

Secondly run your Antivirus and Antispyware apps.

Some advice and links for you click here

ianeon 22:23 14 Jun 2007

I run XP Pro and I have had the same symptoms for the last six months - I am unable to cure this problem - I have run every check that I know, but am still unable to fix this problem, this includes a clean re-install. I would love to know the answer to this problem

tallboy 19:54 15 Jun 2007

Thanks for the info skidzy. I took your advice & ran sfc /scannow last night. As you might expect, it asked for the MS installation disk. After putting this in the drive it ran through the scan, hopefully making any changes that were required.

When I started up the PC this morning, the problem re-appeared. However, this time when I selected 'Last Known Good Settings' it started up OK. I have since (today) re-started it several times without a problem.

I'll now run an in-depth AV check (I use Kaspersky) plus an in-depth run with Spy Sweeper. I'll report back in a week's time, as I'm now offline for a week.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 15 Jun 2007

startup bar across the bottom of the screen followed by a very dim image of the Windows XP screen

this is when the drivers are being loaded, hence the reason it will go into safe mode (basic drivers).

try updateing or reinstalling your device drivers starting with the graphics diver.

tallboy 20:23 15 Jun 2007

Thanks for the suggestion Fruit Bat /\0/
I'll certainly give it a try if the problem continues after I've run the AV & Spy Sweeper checks. (I updated the key drivers about 6 months ago, so they should be OK - but it's always worth checking.)

mothercat 15:48 11 Dec 2007

A friend asked me about this problem with her computer:
Using XP restarting a dim line across the bottom of the screen and thats it. Cannot start in Safe Mode no matter how many times she has tried! Does not have the XP Disc (bought from PC World without it??)and was not aware of the need nor the know- how to make back-ups-recovery etc.
Any ideas?
Kind regards
mothercat.

Seth Haniel 16:11 11 Dec 2007

right Click My Computer - select Manage - System Tool - Event Viewer - then either Application or System

look for events in the time scale of the freeze common are \Device\Ide\IdePort1 timeout

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?