Windows XP Firewall

iscanut 20:55 29 Feb 2008

Have been trying to activate the built in Windows Firewall out of curiosity. It will not start. When I try and activate it for instance via the option within Control Panel, I get the following message.! Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want tp start Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?". I click on yes and then get " Windows cannot start Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing". I notice that it is set to "stopped" within the MSCONFIG services screen and I cannot see how to activate it. Any ideas ?

MAT ALAN 21:21 29 Feb 2008

click here

This may help...

Mac70 21:24 29 Feb 2008

If you have another firewall installed, it will stop the Windows firewall. No idea why you would want to activate but open the Control Panel then Security Centre and choose Windows Firewall.
A window will open for you to enable it.

That's for XP SP2.

iscanut 09:28 01 Mar 2008

This is what I have done and it does not work. I don't want to use it, just curious as to why I cannot activate it.

birdface 09:32 01 Mar 2008

If i remember right if you have Windows defender running that uses W/Firewall so it would be running with that.Hope that I am not getting confused with windows One care.

iscanut 09:47 01 Mar 2008

I don't use Win Defender.

MAT ALAN. Thanks for the info, but neither method worked for me.May give up as I don't want to use Windows Firewall, but just curious as to why it does not work for me.

barca1 13:51 01 Mar 2008

NUTS i dont use it i use this it Runns circles around te win version...try i its FREE..!!!

click here

it got rated 9/10..!!!

Mac70 14:33 01 Mar 2008

Try this read
click here

iscanut 10:28 02 Mar 2008

Thanks, but the solutions did not work for me. Will live with it as I do not intend to ever use the Windows Firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone