Windows XP Firewall

alB 19:22 09 Oct 2005

I've got a new PC that runs XP, on both my previous machines (W98 & W2000) I used Zonealarm firewall, as XP has its own, would I be better using that or stick to Zonealarm or use them both at the same time...alB

VCR97 19:23 09 Oct 2005

Stick to Zone Alarm. Don't run the two at the same time.

Taw® 19:47 09 Oct 2005

Disable the windows firewall and keep using ZA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 09 Oct 2005

Window FW does not block out going progs so if you do get a dialler or trojan its useless.

Stay with ZA although v6 seems to be giving some people problems.

Praxis99 20:23 09 Oct 2005

Take a look at these reviews from Web-User Magazine click here whioh might help. For the record I've been using the Windows firewall with no problems for the last few months after coming over from using Norton Internet Security, I've also tried some of the other free options but have returned to using the windows firewall. As for outbound threats so long as you regularly run anti virus and spyware scans you should be OK and dialers are only a potential financial problem if your on dial up not broadband.

alB 17:26 10 Oct 2005

After reading your comments and also the revues from the Web-User Magazine I've decided to stick with Zonealarm, maybe in the future windows might beef up there own firewall to block out-going progs and I might consider changing. I'm using ZA version 6 and it seems to be running fine.
Thanks again all ...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?