Windows XP Fake version

Rhuddlan 21:41 20 Jul 2007

Hello All,

A friend of mine brought a laptop from girl he worked with for his mother. Recently she has been trying to install the new version of Internet Explorer and download various Microsoft updates, but upon validation of windows, she is told that the version she has is not genuine. The girl her son brought it off no longer works with him and he is unable to contact her. I have a Windows XP disc that I have not used as I got it with something else I purchased. If I where to put this disc in her laptop and install Windows XP, would this overwrite the current version and install a new genuine version of XP. She did not get a restore CD with her laptop, the only other way is through the BIOS? Reset default factory settings? So is there a way that she can install a genuine copy of windows XP on her laptop so she can download and install software successfully?

Thanks, Mat.

X™ 21:44 20 Jul 2007

Yeah, or you could change the serial numbe to legalize it. Use the one from your XP disc.

Jackcoms 21:45 20 Jul 2007

Several questions there:

"If I where to put this disc in her laptop and install Windows XP ..."

You can't. It's illegal.

"Reset default factory settings?"

That's one possible solution - if the laptop has that option. But she will still be without a CD if she encounters problems.

"So is there a way that she can install a genuine copy of windows XP on her laptop"

Buy a new copy.

woodchip 21:50 20 Jul 2007

You can use the CD if you also give her the windows key to go with it. if it's OEM it may not work to be registered

X™ 21:50 20 Jul 2007

"I have a Windows XP disc that I have not used as I got it with something else I purchased."

That makes it legal. As long as it's not installed elswhere.

wee eddie 22:01 20 Jul 2007

On the number that is given on the Screen that tells her that her copy has not been Validated.

It may easily be genuine and the Validation tool at fault, which is why they put that number there.

Get all the bits that came with the Laptop, you may have a CD with the Manual on it, and look it over for any stickers. Your looking for a M$ one with a 15 character code on it.

Then give them a call. The worst they can do is to tell you what you already suspect. If you're lucky it'll turn out to be genuine or they'll offer you a low cost replacement.

spuds 22:12 20 Jul 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?