Windows XP fails to boot

User-9C711E86-C156-4BE1-A8746A846D0B027D 08:52 10 Mar 2003

My PC has windows XP PRO installed and now fails to boot. It hangs on the Windows boot screen.
If I switch off and restart and select any of the 3 SAFE modes it always stops when trying to access the file Mup.sys located in system32\drivers. I will assume that this file is corrupt or the device it is looking for is faulty. Selecting last known config resulted in the same outcome.
How can i get round this problem

bvw in bristol 08:59 10 Mar 2003

Similar problem reported here: click here

I have no PCI cards installed on my motherboard.
I removed the 1394 card which has its own connection, but no luck. This leaves the graphics card but I dont have a spare. I only built this PC last week and all worked well up til now.

Bluescreen 09:31 10 Mar 2003

I built my own pc with Me on it. When I upgraded to Xp, I had loads of problems.One which I just could not fix. My onle solution was to write H/D back to zeros and do clean install. Now all ok.Since your pc is new, maybe best solution

AndySD 09:31 10 Mar 2003

Try going into the bios and disabling the USB ports.

AndySD 09:35 10 Mar 2003

Ok so I am a little slow today.....
If disabling the USB works go to the Device Manager and reinstall the drivers.

If not then try a repair instalation click here you will not lose any data... but you will need to reinstall any updates you have previously installed

I have been to the bios and disabled just about everything not required to boot into windows.
No luck so I shall try a restore

Bluescreen 09:43 10 Mar 2003

Keep us up to date.##Good luck

I had to do a low level format and reinstall to cure this problem. Been OK since but coulnot trace the fault

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?