Windows XP Expert needed

cyclingchef 21:07 10 Mar 2007

Today for no apparent reason my P4 2.66 XP Home PC will not boot ? does the following
memory check ok
detects drives
Windows XC logo
and stops
There are strange 'barcode' like patterns on the screen ? (small repeating sets of 4 cricket stumps????)
I tried a spare AGP graphics card but no improvement.
I can start the PC with Acronis True Image 9 recovery disc (screen still full of barcode patterns) I loaded a backup partition image of 'C' NO IMPROVEMENT on bootup.
I am thinking this is probably a HARDWARE ERROR (possibly motherboard?)
Anyone any thoughts ?

woodchip 21:10 10 Mar 2007

Try tapping F8 as the Computer Starts then choose Safe Mode

cyclingchef 21:17 10 Mar 2007

Sorry I should have said, tried safe mode, starts to lists all the files/dvrs etc then stops.

woodchip 21:24 10 Mar 2007

Have you tried Last known good config?

cyclingchef 21:26 10 Mar 2007

Yes, it gets no further !

woodchip 21:31 10 Mar 2007

You need to do a Repair, look hear and print it off.
click here

cyclingchef 21:46 10 Mar 2007

Yea I suppose as a last resort. I think it will be a lot of work to prove it's a h/w error.
I have trashed my op system before but have never failed to recover it with Acronis True Image. The Image I loaded was a week old so if it's a software problem that would have eradicated it I believe.

woodchip 21:50 10 Mar 2007

It could be as you say Graphics card Problem, do you get more than one beep?

If so turn the Computer off at the wall socket and remove the graphics card then refit it. You could do the same with your memory modules just in case it's one of those. But If it was you normally get more than one beep

cyclingchef 22:00 10 Mar 2007

there are no post beeps, as I said I tried a replacement graphics card. I might try reseating the memory modules but if it was failing memory I wouldn't expect it to stop in the same place every time....but there again PC's never fail to surprise me. Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

woodchip 22:08 10 Mar 2007

Then there will not be a Speaker in the tower. My Medion Desktop does not beep as there is no speaker. I have thought about fiting in one as I did have one or two about. it's just that I never bothered

Ashrich 22:12 10 Mar 2007

Can you get into the bios ? Do you have the option of changing the AGP status from 8x to 2x or 4x , that changes voltages to the card , might just do something ....

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?