Windows XP - DVD-ROM Problem - HELP !!!

Rob B. 12:40 22 Oct 2007

Hi,

My Windows XP running PC has a 'shop fitted' Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B Firmware Version: T503 fitted.

Unfortunately I can't seem to burn any DVD's ?

If I put 700mb discs in the drive they're recognised fine BUT as soon as I try 4.7gb ones Ikeep getting told to insert the disc - i.e. they're not recognised ?

I've tried everything that a 'novice' like me can do simply but to no avail - can someone out there please, please help mee ?

Many thanks,

Rob B.

brundle 12:43 22 Oct 2007

Apparently that drive is a DVD ROM/CDRW; click here

brundle 12:44 22 Oct 2007

Which I should have noticed in your title...which answers your problem..DVD Read Only..

Taff™ 12:51 22 Oct 2007

DVD burners are cheap as chips click here or have a look in your local PC World.

Rob B. 12:52 22 Oct 2007

Hi Brundle and thanks for your reply.
Excuse my ignorance but are you saying this drive will only read and play genuine DVD's - which I can usually do BUT not allow me to burn them back from my hard drive ?
I can play and record from CD's OK ?
Again, sorry to seem so dim !
Thanks,
Rob B.

brundle 12:53 22 Oct 2007

You hit the nail on the head

Rob B. 12:58 22 Oct 2007

Thanks Brundle - can you recommend a cheap & cheerful DVD-Writer that I can plug and play in one of my USB ports as opposed to actually fit in ?
Do these generally accept CD's as well or are 2 different drives needed ?
thanks agin,
Rob B.

Taff™ 13:07 22 Oct 2007

click here and I would suggest you take the Favourite choice. Excellent company to deal with and next day delivery is standard.

I should say that fitting one internally is a far better option - any reason for wanting an external model.

Taff™ 13:13 22 Oct 2007

By the way these types of drives will handle CD`s as well.

Rob B. 13:19 22 Oct 2007

Thanks Taff - External gives me more scope for using for my pc, both of my childrens and also my lap-top. Any suggestions / recommendations ?
thanks,
Rob B.

rdave13 13:53 22 Oct 2007

I've had this one for a while and no problems; click here . I'd shop around though as you might get a cheaper drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?