windows XP dual boot wait time

StephenRogers 21:16 27 Jun 2006

I've got a PC with a version of XP home on the C drive and another version on the D drive - I can't quite remember why I set it up that way - some kind of 'always have a spare copy of windows installed on your computer' kind of madness, I guess.

Anyway - I don't want to change it, I've got rather fond of my two copies of windows.

what I do want to change is the amount of time the system waits before it chooses an operating system for me, and I can't remember where or how to do it. (I remember it being easy and not involving going into the registry!)

Anyone know?

VoG II 21:21 27 Jun 2006

Edit the boot.ini file

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 27 Jun 2006

Edit the boot.ini file and check the Timeout value.

ed-0 21:29 27 Jun 2006

control panel > system > advanced > startup and recoverey > system startup. Change the time to display the list of operating systems. click here

5 seconds should be enough.

ade.h 22:24 27 Jun 2006

Actually, if you set it to zero, you still get 3 seconds. I found that by accident when installing the Recovery Console.

ed-0 22:39 27 Jun 2006

I have never tried it that low.

One second is the lowest I have used and you had to be quick to alter it.;-)

ade.h 22:55 27 Jun 2006

I can only speak for the RC, which doesn't really count as a dual boot system in the conventional sense, I suppose. So with another OS, you may not get the 3 secs.

StephenRogers 17:06 28 Jun 2006

Thanks all - ed-O- I found that this worked well:

control panel > system > advanced > startup and recoverey > system startup. Change the time to display the list of operating systems.

I've got it set back to 1 second which doesn't significantly slow down start up time but gives me time to change it on those rare occasions when I need to

ed-0 17:27 28 Jun 2006

Thats great.

If you know you are going to shutdown and boot into 98 You could alter it to 3 prior to the reboot.;-)

I have set up a lot of duel boot systems, especially when XP was in it's infancy and you didn't know if you would like it. This was the perfect way to cut down on the boot up time for duel booting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?