Windows XP displays download mgr.dll not found

templar_knight 06:26 30 Sep 2013

When I boot my Windows XP PC, the system displays a message advising that a file named download mgr.dll is not found. What is this message and how can I get rid of this?

Press Man 10:57 30 Sep 2013

It could be the windows download manager? Or it could be related to a 3rd party download manager you uninstalled? Try running sfc /scannow.

Press Man 11:11 30 Sep 2013

It may be windows download manager or a 3rd party download manager that you have uninstalled? Try running sfc /scannow it may find corrupt or missing files?

Press Man 11:12 30 Sep 2013

Sorry for "double post" something "screwy" with this site?????

templar_knight 16:37 01 Oct 2013

I ran the command. After running for a couple of minutes, the system displayed the following message:

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.

I don't have the Service Pack CD, as the message suggests. Is there anything else I could do? Where can I get the CD?

Press Man 18:51 01 Oct 2013
  lotvic 23:15 01 Oct 2013

That message "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD" means the installation CD for XP sp3 (XP with sp3) not the SP3 on its own.

You would have to burn a new XP cd and slipstream the sp3 on.

However, I have had a look/search on HDD on my XP pro sp3 pc and I do not have a 'download mgr.dll' which makes me think it is not part of Windows XP.

So perhaps, as Press Man said, it is/was part of a software program you have uninstalled, but the entry is still there in Start up programs so Windows tries to start it, but as it's not there anymore you get the error message.

Have a look in Start - Run - type msconfig and click on ok then go to the Startup tab and see if you recognise it there and you can untick it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?