Windows xp / Dell driver problems.

JDCRO 10:39 16 May 2010

Hi All, this is my first post so go easy on me please.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 that I have reformatted and all has went well until I tried to download a few missing drivers from the Dell website.

I have the items on the desktop as instructed, but they wont open, I think they should self extract ?

But when I try to open them the pc asks which program created these, and gives me a list of options, I chose the reccommended option which was " intenet explorer " stupidly, and now it just opens them in a window on the desktop.

Can somebody please help sort this problem for me, I will be very grateful indeed.

Thanks in hope

Dave

johndrew 10:50 16 May 2010

There are pitfalls with Dell drivers if you get things wrong. Did you read click here and perhaps print it off for reference?

Do you remember what the icon that was attached to the downloaded drivers was like? If so you may be able to get back to it by using the "open with" option you used before. The other option would be to download the drivers again.

I suggest you read the information on driver installation in the link and see if that helps. If you then need more information post again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:04 16 May 2010

My Computer- Tools - Folder options -File types

scroll down to the file type of the drive and click change.
select what you want to open the file with.

JDCRO 11:35 16 May 2010

I have tried downloading the driver again, but the new driver tries to open in the same way as before, ie with I.E.

Fruit Bat.

I can't see the file type in there mate ?

JDCRO 11:42 16 May 2010

Would it be an " application file " with an IE icon perhaps ?

If so what do I change it too ?

Cheers

JDCRO 11:50 16 May 2010

Right, that was the correct file type, I have changed it to open with " Winzip " but still no joy.

What am I doing wrong, Surely the driver file should open and install itself ?

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:53 16 May 2010

click here

click here to restore the correct file asscociations

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?