Windows XP crash - need urgent advice

Happy37 08:16 19 Apr 2007

Hi all

Great forums here on PC ADVISOR so do please keep up the good work and advice...

Here's my problem:-

Have just purchased a 1GB RAM kit:-

click here

to supplement the previous kit that was already in my PC so that the RAM would be increased to 2GB...yet...

I put the RAM into the PC last night and re-booted and although the RAM is recognised in the BIOS, Windows XP came up with a BSOD

Should the RAM sticks be touching together as you can all see from the link that if there would be 4 of these as matching pairs, then they do ALL touch together...or shouldn't they...for better airflow?

Windows XP has crashed and I can't boot into it at all - here's my dilemma:-

Should I or can I repair Windows XP with the XP CD? - will this bring me back to where I was “exactly” before the crash or not?

or...

Should I take out the HDD from the PC and put it in as a Slave in another PC, save all I can, put it back into the other PC as a Master and then re-format/reinstall Windows...or even use an “image” that I have saved from last month and put that back using Acronis True Image 10 Home ?

What would be the best course of action for me?

Please advise accordingly - all responses gratefully received.

Regards

happy37

The Kestrel 08:19 19 Apr 2007

Have you tried removing the new sticks of RAM and rebooting to see whether XP will now work?

Happy37 08:22 19 Apr 2007

Hi The Kestrel

I already did this last night and Windows XP said that it couldn't atart as one of the files on the C:\ drive was corrupt.

Please advise...

Thanks

birdface 08:24 19 Apr 2007

Unfortunately PCA has been down most of the night so there are not many folk on to give you help at the moment,I certainley would do nothing drastic at the moment till someone can advise you.Not being to clever but have you tried taking the extra ram back out to see if your computer works again.

The Kestrel 08:26 19 Apr 2007

It may be possible to repair the fault from your XP CD. If you boot up from the CD, one of the options is to repair any faults without the need to lose any files or do a complete new install.

Happy37 08:33 19 Apr 2007

Hi again The Kestrel

Thanks for your reply:-

Would you happen to know what Option number this would be?

Would I have to let the setup routine start and then let XP repair the installation?

Is this okay or not - please advise...

Regards

Technotiger 08:45 19 Apr 2007

Hi, is the RAM that you just bought the same type as that already in your PC? It should be. I would revert to your original RAM setting and then go to click here and run the RAM Check there. This will then tell you exactly how much and what type of RAM will be suitable for your particular PC.

Technotiger 08:46 19 Apr 2007

PS - the RAM sticks should NOT touch together.

Happy37 08:53 19 Apr 2007

Hi Technotiger

Thanks for your reply - the 2 RAM kits are exactly the same...yet as I have said before that “Should the RAM sticks be touching together” or not?

I am more worried about getting the PC up and running b4 I do anything else to do with the RAM.

Should I or can I repair Windows XP with the XP CD? - will this bring me back to where I was “exactly” before the crash or not?

Should I take out the HDD from the PC and put it in as a Slave in another PC, save all I can, put it back into the other PC as a Master and then re-format/reinstall Windows...or even use an “image” that I have saved from last month and put that back using Acronis True Image 10 Home ?

Please advise...

Thanks

Technotiger 09:25 19 Apr 2007

OK - RAM sticks should not be touching!

First, try a Repair with XP CD, start as if to Install XP, you should then see the Options - long time since I did it so can't remember exact number, but anyway it says quite plainly 'Repair', and yes, if successful you should be back to 'as you were'.

Don't remove Hard-drive yet, leave that as a 'last resort' ...

Technotiger 09:30 19 Apr 2007

If 'Repair' does not get it working again - use your Acronis boot-disc and restore the Image, that should definitely work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?