windows XP crash

Jimbo50 13:17 08 Jun 2007

For some time now my computer suddenly crashes and reboots without warning. I receive the standard message "Your system has just recovered from a fatal error send to MS etc." I have yet to receive a response which tells me what has happened. When I look at the error message on the reporting window it gives me a variation of the following over 2 lines;

C:DOCUMEN~\jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER83b.dir00\mini060407-0S.dmp
C:DOCUMEN~\jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER83b.dir001\sysdata.xml

Any variation of this message occurs after the WER part of the lines with different numbers.

I have deleted various programmes hoping to find one that may have caused the error but no joy.

I am running Win XP SP2 with 1Gb Ram, a P4 2.53 processor and 110 Gb HD with 35Gb free.

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jackcoms 13:29 08 Jun 2007

"Your system has just recovered from a fatal error send to MS etc." I have yet to receive a response which tells me what has happened"

You won't receive a response. That isn't the point of sending info to MS. It's simply to give them info about problems so that they can fix those problems in future software releases.

Try a Windows repair:

Sometimes the system files (those required to run Windows properly) can become corrupted. Here's how to run a check on your system files:
• Click Start; Run.
• In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
• At the prompt, type sfc.exe /scannow
• Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

Jimbo50 13:44 08 Jun 2007

The question which always follows this reply is "Windows pre-installed at purchase no XP installation CD for restore"? I hope the answer to this is not too technical,but I can cope with most (quite a lot) things.

Jackcoms 13:47 08 Jun 2007

"I hope the answer to this is not too technical"

Not technical at all.

Without a Windows CD, you're stuffed. ;-)

Jackcoms 13:48 08 Jun 2007

Have you tried System Restore?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 08 Jun 2007

You can do an sfc /scannow without the windows disk.

All you need to do is point the Sfc to the i386 folder on your hard drive.

Follow the instructions
sfc /scannow problems
click here

Jimbo50 17:56 08 Jun 2007

Many thanks Jackcoms for your non technical description that seems easy enough to follow!!

Fruit bat/\0/\, I have located the I386 folder on my hard drive but the instruction shown on your link seem to contradict, ie use the XP disc to copy this to folder?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?