Windows XP Clock Losing Time

frostysnowman 10:34 10 Dec 2008

Hi, my PC is running Windows XP Home SP3 on an Asus A8V-VM Mobo and was only installed in 2006. I have noticed on several occasions that when I boot my PC my System time is slow. On looking on Google for a similar problem shows that this is usually down to the CMOS battery. However, since I only installed the Mobo in 2006 from new makes me doubt this as I thought that these batteries lasted for a longer than 2 years. Any advice appreciated.

toon_mad 10:36 10 Dec 2008

before i read your input looking at the thread title my first thought was indeed the cmos battery on your motherboard.

replace it anyway if you have a spare just to eliminate it

birdface 12:19 10 Dec 2008

Update from microsoft last night .Something to do with time and date.Maybe download the updates and see if any difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:25 10 Dec 2008

I thought that these batteries lasted for a longer than 2 years

It depends on how you use the machine.
If the machine is left plugged into a switched on power socket then there is small current being taken even if the machine is switched off.
If the power is switched off at the socket then the backup battery is in use and may not last longer than a couple of years.
Cheap batteries will not last long anyway.

Rahere 12:37 10 Dec 2008

After replacing your battery - only a couple of quid usually anyway.

frostysnowman 13:12 10 Dec 2008

Thanks for all your advice.

Stuartli 13:16 10 Dec 2008

There was an update about some countries' daylight hours changes affecting the settings - the full December updates are listed here:

click here

However, as using lithium CMOS batteries appears to be prevalent (the C2032 seems the most common), it would be doubtful if the battery had packed up in such a short time unless it was already quite an old one.

But as suggested it won't do any harm to try a new battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017