Windows XP CD

Ade_1 19:07 26 Jan 2006

Hi, when i bought my comptuer it did not come with a CD for recovery or if i neededd to reinstall windows after a reformatt. Is it possible to make your own from the files and folders on your computer? If so how, or do you have a website which i can look at?
and is it illegal?

Thanks
Aidan

g0nvs 19:21 26 Jan 2006

Make a Back Up on to DVD using Norton Ghost or a similar program & Bob's your Uncle.

Ade_1 19:25 26 Jan 2006

ake a backup of what? , plus i dont have Norton Ghost and i dont actually know what it does to be honest

Ade_1 20:49 26 Jan 2006

anyone know how to?

PC Bilbo 21:12 26 Jan 2006

You need to a clone a copy of your hard drive complete wityh O.S., Programmes and Files onto DVD.

The easiest software for the unitiated to use is Acronis' True Image 8 with an easy to follow wizard.It's come down in price since version 9 came out but will be fine if you download all updates before using.It is virtually half price now from Amazon and on eBay and you can get for around £17 delivered.

Damn Machine 21:19 26 Jan 2006

You could use Microsoft's "Back-up" tool, Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

Ade_1 21:20 26 Jan 2006

ok thanks, just i want a disc incase anythign ever happens to my computer, because if it does i dont have a restore disc lol.

Mr Beeline 22:11 26 Jan 2006

I think this is the sort of thing you are looking for.

See click here

Though I thought you said in another thread that you had a DELL Dimension 5100. Surely this is a fairly modern PC. You're not trying to tell me that DELL doesn't supply some sort of recovery CD with their systems these days!? If it's just missing, I'd give them a phone.

Mr Beeline 22:23 26 Jan 2006

If this is not what you want, have a look at:

click here

Skills 22:29 26 Jan 2006

Providing you have a folder on your harddrive called i386 then i have followed the instructions here to make a windows installation cd from them click here

Just do a search for the folder.

beynac 22:40 26 Jan 2006

If your PC is a recent Dell Dimension 5100 (as Mr Beeline says), click Start, All Programs, Dell Accessories. There should be a menu item to create a Windows XP disc (one time only). If not there, have a look in the other Dell folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?