windows xp cd

georgie2 15:01 27 Jan 2004

Hi, I have just found this download on the windows site : windows xp home edition utility set up disks for floppy boot install.: it says, the windows xp start up disk allows computers without a bootable cd-rom to perform a new installation of the operating system. the windows xp start up disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the cd rom drive to start a new install of the set up.
is this the same as a windows xp cd that you get with a new computer? my computer was pre installed with xp home edition and i did not get a cd with the computer, all i got was a recovery disk. does this mean that if i want to reinstall the xp operating system this will do it for me?
thanks in anticipation

Jester2K 15:04 27 Jan 2004

No - its just a boot disk (or in XPs case 6)

You'll still need a CD.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:04 27 Jan 2004

What this does is make boot up floppy for xp about 6 discs worth so u can boot ur pc if it goes pear shapped and need to acsess it it should put back the settings u had before it went funny,but all this should be on the recovery disc anyway.

Regards.

ventanas 15:07 27 Jan 2004

This will create a set of six floppy discs so that those without a bootable cd drive (as it says) can load sufficient files to enable the cd drive and run the XP setup.

It is not a set of XP installation discs. XP on floppy would probably fill a very large cupboard.

You do not need them as you have a recovery disc.

ventanas 15:08 27 Jan 2004

Must type faster

georgie2 15:13 27 Jan 2004

thanks, does anyone know where i can get the xp cd rom that should have come with the computer or is everything i need on the recovery disk

buckleboy 15:54 27 Jan 2004

georgie2, the recovery disk should restore your PC to how it was when it left the factory (if it's anything like my ME)unfortunately you lose all your personal files.

hugh-265156 16:11 27 Jan 2004

your copy of xp is kept on a hidden partition on your hard drive.the restore floppy you have accesses this and reinstalls windows from there.

what i would suggest you do while your computer is still working well is purchase a copy of drive image or acronis true image,norton ghost etc and create an image of your hard drive.this will make an exact copy including all your updates,installed programs etc and you can be up and running fully in 15/20 mins.

georgie2 12:16 28 Jan 2004

thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?