Windows XP cant be updated

gnvqsos 11:58 12 Jun 2010

When seeking to update I received an error message which read ox 80072ee2.The mesage board(MSC) advised allowing the MS update address as a trusted site on IE8 options but I still cannot access.I suspect my Comodo firewall may be too stict.Could I tone this down while updating or should I modify the firewall settings.I am not to good with PCs and really need some expert advice to guide me.

My computer like myself is old and slow.Can anyone suggest how to speed up .I have used CC cleaner and defragged the disc.

jack 12:22 12 Jun 2010

Sluggishiness
So
!. Come off line, disable the A/V and firewall and carry out some test function such as typing an E-mail or other document-
Did it speed up?
Many of the protection devices - Mailwasher and Spyware detectors are running scans- thus taking up resources and delaying activity
2. Too many applications active!
Ctrl/Alt/Del and select Task Manager.
Knockout those you are not actually needing in the current session.

onthelimit 12:40 12 Jun 2010

Worth also running Malwarebytes Free v to check/clear any adware. Also, right click 'My Computer' to see how much RAM is installed - if less than 1Gb, that could be a reason. You can go to Crucial click here, run the scanner and see how much RAM your motherboard will support. Good company to buy from too.

onthelimit 12:41 12 Jun 2010
  gnvqsos 15:40 13 Jun 2010

Thanks for your advice but I found that uninstalling MS security essentials freed up my PC.No one has yet to address my first question about updating.Can anyone help please
John

lotvic 17:01 13 Jun 2010

this may shed some light on your problem
answers microsoft.com click here
Windows updates Not downloading/stalling/just not working
"....MSE & Comodo firewall don't play nicely together."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?