windows xp auto update

fishmad pete 08:08 13 Jan 2003
  fishmad pete 08:08 13 Jan 2003

I am connected to the net via a broadband connection. When ever I go to the microsoft windows update page I can retrieve and install the critical updates but can't get to the the recommended updates. The page is either not available or the action is cancelled. However if I go on the net via a dialup connection I can retrieve the recommended updates without any problem. As anyone had the same or similar problems with the recommended updates?

fishmad pete 08:43 15 Jan 2003

I have been having similar problems with hotmail. To gain access to any email I have to click on it once then press the refresh button. I have now tried hotmail using my dial up connection and again everything works first time. My broadband connection is blueyonder (cable).
I can't see why the two connections would give such different results

fishmad pete 09:50 30 Jan 2003

According to update I had six recomended updates available. I went into the "personalise windows update" and deselect one of the items. Magically the recomended updates became available. Before downloading I tried deselecting and selecting different combinations of the updates but found the fault only occured when all six were selected. I delselected one and downloaded the others. I then went back and reselected the one remaining update and down loaded that.
Hotmail worked for the first time in months. I think it matbe a co-incidance as none of the updates were to do with hotmail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?