Windows XP Activation - Is this true???

mattyc_92 10:01 18 Apr 2005

Hi, I am building a new system for myself, and I am going to be transfering my WinXP Pro license to the new system.... Obviously, I am going to be formatting the old system so I can transfer the license...

Anyways, my question is, I have heard that if you don't activate Windows for over 120 days, it resets the "log" that Microsoft keeps, and allows you to activate through the internet instead of the phone.... Is this true??

And YES, I do have a Full Boxed Reatil version of Windows XP Professional, before anyone asks if it is OEM.....

Chegs ® 10:08 18 Apr 2005

XP allows repeated activations(upto about 10)before it requests you to phone M$.Once installed,you have 30 days to activate it.

mattyc_92 10:11 18 Apr 2005

Thanks for responding....

I understand that, but I have heard that it "resets the log that Microsft holds" that contains your hardware configuration...

I only want to know this, as if it is true, then I can activate Windows over the internt again (as it has been around 5 months since my last format of this system) and this will save me the time of the phone call (if it's true)....

ventanas 10:18 18 Apr 2005

MS try to keep it a secret, but yes its true.

mattyc_92 10:19 18 Apr 2005

Thanks for that..... Problem sloved... lol

Ticked...

Chegs ® 10:19 18 Apr 2005

You should be able to activate over the net,as its 5mths ago,so your still within the 10ish activations(I had an iffy hdd,reinstalled/activated repeated all day,when XP decided I had activated often enough,it asked me to phone M$,a painless experience,that took five mins)

Indigo 1 10:36 18 Apr 2005

saved for reference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?