Windows XP 64-bit

Splodge 15:43 20 Nov 2010

I have been struggling for months to get to grips with an 64-bit computer (Dell Zino) both in transferring my XP 32-bit and actually getting the Internet connexion to work! I hate it and would cheerfully throw it in the bin if it had not cost me over £550! (and I am still tempted!)

The thing is, I have my Windows XP SP3 32-bit purring like a leopard. All my (many) programs work, and, of course it is familier. But, it is 8 and a half years old and it cannot last for ever.

I just wonder if I buy the Windows XP 64-bit OS and install that instead of the Windows 7, would my present programs work and would my data transfer easily.

Realy, can I copy my external drive over intact with the knowledge that some programs would not install or need replacing.

Ps: if you hear a crash, it is the Dell flying through the Window(s) LOL.

bremner 15:55 20 Nov 2010

When you say you are transferring your XP32 can you explain exactly what you are trying to do.

You cannot transfer installed programs from one hard drive to another.

Forget XP64 you will find a shed load more problems with this than W7.

Splodge 16:21 20 Nov 2010

Well, yes you can by using Acronis True Image, which clones the drive. I can then reverse the jumpers and D becomes C and visa versa!

However, the question remains, can I also jump from 32 bit to 64 bit with even some semblence of success!

For example, can I go to Microsoft and buy, a doownload upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit XP. I shall have to look.

Still, I note your warning about 64-bit problems, can you explain?

bremner 16:28 20 Nov 2010

Transferring and cloning are two different things.

Yes you could do as you suggest but it would in all likelihood not work because your Acronis clone has the drivers relating to your old computer and not the Dell Zino.

Windows 7 comes with many many more drivers than XP64 and more manufacturers provide W7 drivers than XP64.

Splodge 16:33 20 Nov 2010

The Dell drivers are on a separate disk so I would be able to install them separately!

Still I see your point about the other new drivers!

Did you hear that "CRASH" and tinkle of glass?

I guess I am lost.

bremner 16:47 20 Nov 2010

Perhaps someone more familiar with Acronis can comment on whether the Dell is likely to even boot an image of a different machine.

Splodge 17:00 20 Nov 2010

Yes, that is an idea but I think I am flogging a dead horse.

I am resigned to re-installing the Dell over a long period and THEN go to an expert for installing the correct internet connection.

(I did try my present provider but they fobbed me off by re-routing my call to Dell! After about 20 minutes without response a voice said there was a fault and disconnected!)
I should be able to install some of my programs but not get updates.

I won't say the provider but I haven't been one for a long time!

GaT7 19:26 20 Nov 2010

"For example, can I go to Microsoft and buy, a doownload upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit XP."

No, you will have to buy a full (non-upgrade) 64-bit version of XP.

"I just wonder if I buy the Windows XP 64-bit OS and install that instead of the Windows 7, would my present programs work and would my data transfer easily."

Yes, in theory you could transfer your data & settings using Windows Easy Transfer (WET) click here, but always better to do it manually. And all programs will need reinstalling, as bremner implied.

-----------------------------------------------

Here's an alternative to consider.

Which version of Win7 came preinstalled? If it's Pro or better you can use XP Mode in Win7 - more info click here. You'll also need to check if your CPU supports HAV & enable it if it does for the best experience - details at click here. This system comes with a free XP version courtesy of Microsoft, so there's no further XP purchase.

If you have Win7 Home Premium, then you can use the free VMLite XP Mode instead click here. This system is similar in functionality to the XP Mode above, & they claim it's better & faster too. You'll need to download the free XP Mode click here to use with this (or let the internal downloader do this). There's no further XP purchase required here either.

Virtual systems give one the best of both worlds, running two or more OSes on the same machine with the ability to use one OS at a time, & without having to reboot like in a dual-boot system. G

Splodge 07:03 21 Nov 2010

WOW! Thanks Crossbow, that has given me a lot to chew over.

Not sure this 80 year old can tackle all that but,
I AM GOING TO TRY.

Thank you.

Splodge 07:15 21 Nov 2010

Crossbow,

I have copied your post into Notepad and copied the web-sites you linked for me.

There will now be a (6 month?) silence while I endevour to follow your instruction!

Thanks again.

bruno 11:17 21 Nov 2010

I have recently gone over to a Windows7-64bit system from XP Home and did not have a problem with the internet connection on broadband. I just installed the disc that came with the router and as it was already connected to my ISP from the previous PC it just started up.It depends what you are trying to load,but I only had about six things that did not work. I managed to get four of these working by going on line and downloading the most recent drivers. Some older games of my wife's could not be helped, though. Don't lose patience with it as it is a good system once you get used to it.We silver surfers must never give up!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?