windows xp

casper69 07:22 11 Apr 2006

hi
how much hdd space should i leave for installing windows xp home edition
cheers

Diodorus Siculus 08:01 11 Apr 2006

As a minimum a couple of gigabytes but for comfort and installation of programs etc, I generally go for about 10gbs.

casper69 09:15 11 Apr 2006

thanks ill just use 10gb cheers

Pidder 10:23 11 Apr 2006

Just to stick my oar in, I thought the usual advice was to have the OS on a different partion to other programs, or was this just for earlier ones like 98SE. Perhaps XP isn't so fussy.

Diodorus Siculus 13:15 11 Apr 2006

[quote]have the OS on a different partion to other programs[/quote]

That never made any sense to me - if the OS then failed, the other programs would have to be reinstalled so why not leave them with the OS.

Partitioning is useful in that it will allow for an easy backup routine - if the OS and programs are on one partition (C), data like My Documents, emails, downloads etc can be on another (D), music and video on a third, and so on. That makes it easy to then backup the different data as you want.

Obviously it is an advantage to have two hard disks - and to copy data from one to another - an external one is even better.

Pidder 18:27 11 Apr 2006

You are probably better informed than me. I understood that with, say, 98SE the OS worked better (?faster) if it had it's own partition. Possibly not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?