Windows XP

PTB007 09:56 29 Feb 2004

I've recently rebuilt my pc after formatting all the drives and reinstalling Windows XP.
I get the occassional 'blue' screen and am advised by Windows error reporting to check that I have obtained the latest updates.
I am able to do this and can get as far as Windows Update telling me what critical updates I need but no matter how many times I click on the download button nothing happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stuartli 10:56 29 Feb 2004

Try the alternative of going to Microsoft's Windows XP home page and then using the links for Security etc updates, HotFixes etc.

This is the XP home page:

click here

You should be able to follow the links for security, updates etc from here without using the (non-functioning in your case) Windows Updates page.

Stuartli 10:57 29 Feb 2004

It could be that XP will have to be reactivated before acceptance on Windows Update following your system rebuild.

PTB007 17:49 29 Feb 2004

Stuartli,

Thanks for the help but still no joy.

In your first reply I've tried what you suggested but end up being directed back to the Windows update section and get as far as the download option.

I've also checked that my copy of windows has been activated which it has.

Eric10 17:56 29 Feb 2004

You can try to download the updates manually as follows:

Run Windows Update from the Start menu as normal, and accept any ActiveX controls Microsoft throws at you. Once complete, Windows Update will scan your system as normal, but once it’s finished click the 'Personalise Windows Update' link under 'Other Options'. Tick the box marked 'Display the link to the Windows Update Catalogue under See Also' and click 'Save Settings'.

The link will appear in the left-hand window, so click it and you can choose your OS and the type of update you want to view, and then download them manually to a set location on your hard drive. It's best to keep each update in a separate folder so that you can differentiate between them.

Stuartli 09:27 01 Mar 2004

I really don't understand why that should be so - normally the method I pointed out takes you to a direct download link, more often than not from a Knowledge Base article outlining the reasons for particular updates, patches etc.

Just ignore any Windows Updates links from the XP home page or subsequent pages.

Stuartli 09:35 01 Mar 2004

..go here:

click here

and then click on "Get more technical details..in Security Bulletin etc" under the information about each update.

You will then be able to download the update from the Security Bulletin pages from Download the Update for the relevant version of Windows....

Stuartli 09:36 01 Mar 2004

If I remember rightly some updates cannot be installed if you don't already have SP1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017