Windows won't start. Please help.

Daxsimus 12:35 06 Nov 2006

Hi,
I restarted my comp and now it wont load windows, keeps turning on and off but wont stay off and I get the following message on a black screen:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select 'r' at first screen to start repair."
I do not have a setup disk as the OS is preinstalled on the system. Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to solve this problem.
Many thanks in advance for any help Dax.

birdface 12:40 06 Nov 2006

Try ,Start, Run, Type in sfc /scannow Gap between sfc and forward slash,If it asks you to install xp disc, you will need to come back out.It sometimes runs without asking.

Daxsimus 12:53 06 Nov 2006

It wont let me do that as everytime I hit any key it just reboots and never gets to the start screen.

Strawballs 12:59 06 Nov 2006

Have you tried tapping F11 during startup because some systems that come pre-installed without windows disc use a hidden partion on the hard drive and pressing F11 during startup will take you to that.

Daxsimus 13:07 06 Nov 2006

F11 took me to the bio setup utility. What should I do now?

Daxsimus 13:09 06 Nov 2006

Pressing F10 gets me to the system recovery but I only want to use that as a last resort as got work that has not been saved yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:23 06 Nov 2006

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Daxsimus 13:26 06 Nov 2006

I have got any start up disks or cd's. Any ideas without those?

Daxsimus 13:26 06 Nov 2006

Sorry that should have read I haven't got any startup disks.

Daxsimus 13:43 06 Nov 2006

Sorry got to go. Will be back on later to see if anyone has had anymore ideas cheers Dax.

€dstowe 13:58 06 Nov 2006

This is not going to be any help to you now but may be in the future but, this same thing happened on one of my machines this morning.

I ignored all the dire messages that appeared on screen but re-installed everything from a full system backup which had been made last Friday afternoon.

It was all up and running again within 45 minutes.

When you get going again, please give urgent consideration to preparing a full system backup and keep it up to date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?