windows wont start

Liza 14:55 08 Sep 2008

My windows xp sp2 does not log on instead after going through normal starting finishes off with a screen with a lemon background and black vertical lines like pin stripe. I tried to get into safe mode or start with cd rom but failed. When I disabled my primary drive and tried safe mode all it did was give me a start normally screen. I am wondering if its the lcd screen now 4 years old. I know its not a virus because I have just installed a 2008 norton system works and it was running ok. I was thinking of installing vista but looks like I will have to abansdon the idea and get a new drive for vista. Can anyone help please. Liza

johndrew 15:23 08 Sep 2008

I doubt if it is the monitor as you get a response when you disable your primary drive. It may be your graphics card. You can try re-seating the card in its slot and make certain all connections are good.

It may also be a memory problem, but this is harder to diagnose. Try the above and let us know how you get on.

birdface 17:08 08 Sep 2008

Sounds like a graphics problem.Just installed Norton.I suppose that could be the problem.can you try another monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone