windows won't start

caulkhead 12:13 16 Nov 2006

After starting my desktop computer, windows started normally, a new window appeared stating backup of files will take place when you re-boot, which I did. Next line came up "invalid boot ini file" then it said "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: (windows root)\system32\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file".
Operating system is windows XP. Can anybody please advise me what to do as I haven't got a rescue disk just the windows XP disk which I received with the computer. Any help would be gratefully received.A

howard64 12:19 16 Nov 2006

try starting in safe mode my hitting the f8 key as windows starts

Gongoozler 12:20 16 Nov 2006

Try this solution from Microsoft click here

Legolas 12:23 16 Nov 2006

If all else fails you can try a win XP Repair. This will not affect the data you have on your computer it just reinstalls and repairs Win XP.
click here

caulkhead 12:52 16 Nov 2006

Thanks for the prompt replies. Tried the F8 key but still the same. Would like to try the other solutions but to do this, how do I configure the pc to start from the CD-ROM ?

VoG II 12:56 16 Nov 2006
  caulkhead 13:25 16 Nov 2006

Thanks for the post VoG. This may take a while to complete. Will post back later hopefully with success.

caulkhead 10:27 17 Nov 2006

Thanks guys for your help.After starting the pc in cd mode, I followed the Microsoft solution/XP repair and although it took a while to complete, all seems to be back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?