Windows won't run but linux will

Strawballs 00:19 19 Jun 2009

My Acer Aspire 5535 running Vista Home Basic just refused to load this evening gets to the Windows is starting with the bar scrolling across the screen and that's as far as it goes tried safe mode, last known good configuration nothing even tried using acer recovery disc (DVD 2 off) set boot order to CD/DVD it loads files then goes into the loop, I even put XP disc in it loads files then say's that there is a problem with hard drive.

But both Ubuntu and PClinuxOS will run from LIVE CD That is what I am using at the moment

LastChip 01:13 19 Jun 2009

Neither Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS needs a hard drive to run.

phono 01:25 19 Jun 2009

As LastChip has suggested it is probably a hard drive problem.

Download and run the HD manufacturer's drive diagnostic software, if your Aspire does not have a floppy drive you may need to download and burn a bootable CD image version of the software.

Alternatively can you scan the HD for errors from within Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS?

Strawballs 09:39 19 Jun 2009

That is what I thought untill I found I can access both hard drives from Ubuntu, which was useful because the wife has college work in her documents which she had not backed up, I was able to save her work to my USB pen

phono 16:19 19 Jun 2009

All the more reason to download the drive diagnostic software and run it, the problem may well be repairable.

Strawballs 21:56 19 Jun 2009

I will try downloading the drive diagnostic software as I tried scanning from within Ubuntu and it found nothing

Strawballs 12:26 20 Jun 2009

It is almost impossible trying to find out what make of hard drive in it without taking back off, looks like I will have to find something like PC Wizard that will run from Ubuntu live CD

dms_05 14:03 20 Jun 2009

Try Rescue CD. It's a live CD and will run without your HDD. It may allow you to find the problem click here

Strawballs 01:20 21 Jun 2009

Cheers phono found out drive is Hitachi so downloaded their "Disc fitness checker" on daughters machine and burned to bootable disc, it took about 2hours to check the disc found corrupt sectors then another 2 hours to analize and fix now all works fine am using it now in windows.

phono 20:47 21 Jun 2009

Glad to hear it is now working okay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone