windows wont recognise disc in DVD drive

Newuser3477 20:11 26 Feb 2006

My Windows XP2 Explorer system will no longer recognise the existence of a new CD or DVD disc in my multi format LG optical drive GSA-4163B.
When I try to open a blank CD -r, CD-rw, DVD-r, DVD-rw or DVD ram disc in the computer I get the Windows explorer message "E" drive in accessible.
Recorded commercial CDs & DVDs all play well. Nero7 will open all discs and it is possible to burn/record to all formats. The recorded discs then open on inserting into computer, indicating contents/files. In “My Computer” however the screen shows that there are xxx bytes recorded but zero bytes free, but it is still possible to add to these recordable discs, as much as 100 MD data.
The reason I want Windows to recognise new and partially filled discs is because my Genie Back Up programme can't record/burn to this drive because an error message comes up indicating that the drive is empty or not available.
How do I get Windows to recognise the existence of a free disc in the optical recorder.
Thank you

howard63 20:28 26 Feb 2006

try uninstalling the drive from right click my computer then properties - hardware -device manager. Reboot your pc and the drive should be found and reinstalled.

Newuser3477 09:11 27 Feb 2006

Thanks for idea, regrettably after rebooting and inserting new disc a windows explorer windows comes up withdrive not accessible, incorrect function.
Any more ideas?

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:34 27 Feb 2006

Think you may need "enable CD recording" box ticked in properties

Newuser3477 16:41 01 Mar 2006

I have ticked the appropriate boxes and I am no longer getting "E"drive is inaccessible, so I guess my back up program should work when I reinstall.
Strange when I go to My Computer/and highlight the drive the screen still shows drive full even with new discs.
I didn't have the recording tab ticked in My Computer because I had been told that this is Roxio technology and Roxio conflicts with Nero . So I will test burning with Nero too
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?