Windows Won't Load

Fullywired 13:29 15 Jan 2005

hiya!
[email protected] having afew problems loading windows onto an an old PC. the PC in question is an old pentium 3 450mhz (@ 600Mhz) with 128Mb of ram and a 6Gb Hard Drive. i have tries 3 versions of windows and each gives me a different error!!

on Windows 98 SE: the scandisk is running and then it stops at 99% and at the top in light blue text reads:
Run Time error M6111: MATH
- Floating Point error: Stack underflow

and then the PC just freezes.

on Windows ME: the scandisk runs all the way through and stops at "copying the nescesarry files to install windows..." and then it either freezes or goes back to the E:\> prompt!

Windows XP Pro: boots perfectly and then the grey bar at the bottom says: "setup is loading files" and then says in the main screen:
File \ntkrnlmp.exe Could Not Be loaded.
The Error Code Is 7.

at first i thought it was the CD drive playing up but i tried it with my NEC 1300A DVD RW and i got the same results! then i switched the Hard Drive and still the same results!!

any help is much appreciated!

Regards

Fullywired

rawprawn 13:36 15 Jan 2005

click here I'm not sure this is your problem but it's worth looking at

Diodorus Siculus 13:37 15 Jan 2005

Could be a faulty memory chip. Do you have one or more to swap around?

Fullywired 16:11 15 Jan 2005

well many thanks to both of you but im afraid the Knowledge base question applies only to Windows NT 3.** and i currently have no SDRAM to swap as I use only DDR in my PC so i'm still in the same situation!! i thought it could be to do with the overclock but it didn't install even at 450Mhz!!!

Regards

Fullywired!

JonnyTub 16:25 15 Jan 2005

you have a bad memory chip or incorrectly setup bios... read on: click here

Fullywired 16:54 15 Jan 2005

Thank you JonnyTub!! i will try this as soon as i can, i have printed that page for reference and will attempt to reset the BIOS, i do not have any RAM but i will have by thurdsay!!

Regards

Fullywired

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?