Windows wont boot(After running combofix)

hiwatt 11:23 11 Jan 2010

Hi folks.I was clearing a heavily infected computer for a family friend.I used combofix(without assistance)and it's deleted a system file.Windows wont boot it's saying missing file windows root\system 32\hal.dll I've got a windows xp home disc.I'm trying to avoid doing a clean install though.The option to do a repair install isnt there.Can anyone tell me how I can install this file from the windows cd or if I can do a system restore from the recovery console?Thank you.

MAT ALAN 11:26 11 Jan 2010

click here

this may help...

hiwatt 13:35 11 Jan 2010

Thanks matalan.I had tried that method and it still gives the same message ahen rebooting.I think I'll have to go for the system restore from recovery console but I have to type Cd system~1\_resto~1 but I cant get the ~ character to work in the recovery console.I only get a / using that key?I've got a horrible feeling I'll have to do a complete reinstall.

mgmcc 14:07 11 Jan 2010

To get the ~ character in DOS, press "Shift" plus the key immediately to the left of the number 1 key in the main keyboard.

Because File names in DOS are limited to the 8.3 format (8 characters, with an extension of 3), long file names are truncated using the ~ character. If the first 6 characters of several files are the same, they will end in ~1 and ~2 etc.

hiwatt 18:48 11 Jan 2010

Thank you very much for that tip.In the end I had to do a fresh install of windows.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?