Windows Won't Boot

spruce 15:06 29 Oct 2008

I have been given 3 computers within the last couple of days that wont boot past the windows logo loading screen - even in safe mode. Removal of the hard drives and scanning with anti virus by connecting them to a working operating system shows them to be clear. It's strange for this to happen with 3 unconnected people. Is this a known problem? All are running XP, 1 x compaq laptop, 1 x compaq desktop, on x acer laptop. I can't tell if these machines have had SP 3 installed or not. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

howard64 15:13 29 Oct 2008

did you try getting them to run system restore to go back to before the problem? There are a few progs that can start an unbootable pc to run system restore.

Rahere 15:14 29 Oct 2008

Have you tried booting from an XP installation CD to run a system file check or repair?

spruce 15:17 29 Oct 2008

Yep tried all the usual things :-(

Rahere 15:25 29 Oct 2008

Have you tried fixing the nbr or does it get beyond this?

If you have Windows NT / 2000 / XP, you can boot from startup floppy disks or CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR...

spruce 15:41 29 Oct 2008

Hi Rahere, yes tried the fixmbr, this is really baffling me :-(

Rahere 16:23 29 Oct 2008

Darn spruce I had money on that fix!!

So if I understand it you get to the windows loading screen which comes after the opportunity to boot to safe mode - seems strange that safe mode isn't accessible

spruce 16:37 29 Oct 2008

This is what is making it so vexing. I would'nt think anymore of it, but the fact this has happened to 3 independent computers. I have also had a phone call from a friend who has exactly the same problem. Darn. Still open to suggestions :-)

howard64 16:44 29 Oct 2008

you can download ultimate boot cd which can either be run from a cd/dvd or usb key and run system restore or other repair tools by booting from the cd or usb key.

Rahere 16:52 29 Oct 2008

I could be flogging the proverbial but on my XP install I have to press f8 twice to get to safe mode choices....

birdface 17:15 29 Oct 2008

There was a Microsoft update within the last 5 days that caused a lot of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?