Windows Won't Boot

spruce 15:06 29 Oct 2008

I have been given 3 computers within the last couple of days that wont boot past the windows logo loading screen - even in safe mode. Removal of the hard drives and scanning with anti virus by connecting them to a working operating system shows them to be clear. It's strange for this to happen with 3 unconnected people. Is this a known problem? All are running XP, 1 x compaq laptop, 1 x compaq desktop, on x acer laptop. I can't tell if these machines have had SP 3 installed or not. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

howard64 15:13 29 Oct 2008

did you try getting them to run system restore to go back to before the problem? There are a few progs that can start an unbootable pc to run system restore.

Rahere 15:14 29 Oct 2008

Have you tried booting from an XP installation CD to run a system file check or repair?

spruce 15:17 29 Oct 2008

Yep tried all the usual things :-(

Rahere 15:25 29 Oct 2008

Have you tried fixing the nbr or does it get beyond this?

If you have Windows NT / 2000 / XP, you can boot from startup floppy disks or CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR...

spruce 15:41 29 Oct 2008

Hi Rahere, yes tried the fixmbr, this is really baffling me :-(

Rahere 16:23 29 Oct 2008

Darn spruce I had money on that fix!!

So if I understand it you get to the windows loading screen which comes after the opportunity to boot to safe mode - seems strange that safe mode isn't accessible

spruce 16:37 29 Oct 2008

This is what is making it so vexing. I would'nt think anymore of it, but the fact this has happened to 3 independent computers. I have also had a phone call from a friend who has exactly the same problem. Darn. Still open to suggestions :-)

howard64 16:44 29 Oct 2008

you can download ultimate boot cd which can either be run from a cd/dvd or usb key and run system restore or other repair tools by booting from the cd or usb key.

Rahere 16:52 29 Oct 2008

I could be flogging the proverbial but on my XP install I have to press f8 twice to get to safe mode choices....

birdface 17:15 29 Oct 2008

There was a Microsoft update within the last 5 days that caused a lot of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie