Windows wont boot

tosc 19:21 28 Jun 2008

After installing a driver for a digital camera the pc wont boot. The boot process stops 15 or20 seconds after the windows xp screen appears and then the windows logo disappears to be replaced with a page of text saying something had gone wrong and giving the option to restart in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt etc. Selecting any one of these options repeats the cycle again.
I can access the hdd using Knoppix, is there a way of uninstalling a driver or program with Knoppix or how could I find out which file is causing the problem.

Pamy 19:31 28 Jun 2008

Can you boot into "last known good" boot, or get to "restore" to earlier date if you have XP O/S

woodchip 19:43 28 Jun 2008

tap F8 or F5 as computer is starting and do as above in Safe Mode\System Restore

tosc 21:21 28 Jun 2008

I can't boot into safe mode by any means, when I select an option the system stops at "Press Esc to Stop Loading SPTD.SYS" and whether I press esc or not the machine reboots again.

Pamy 21:50 28 Jun 2008

I am assuming that your OS is XP. I do not think you can uninstall a driver or program with Knoppix or how you could find out which file is causing the problem. If you have the original Xp disk you could do a "repair" install. This should re- install the O/S and keep all your progs. and settings

alan2273 23:05 28 Jun 2008

I agree a repair install is the best option.
This easy to follw guide will show you how to do it.
click here

woodchip 18:38 29 Jun 2008

But you will have to download all XP updates after as these get wiped after a repair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?