windows wont boot

llollipoppi 00:00 28 Oct 2006

Hi, My mum bought a p.c off her friend and asked me to transfer all her stuff from her old one to her new one, the new one was riddled with viruses so i cleared them all using, spybot search and destroy, trojan hunter, spyhunter and avg. i then downloaded microsoft critical updates as this p.c is two years old but hasnt been used much, then rebooted, now it wont even boot into safemode, goed to the boot options selection screen but then just goes to winjdows loading screen, quick flash of a blue screen then back to rebooting, I have tried using recovery discs but its still the same, is there any way i can fix this?

I did manage to get into safemode once and changed the boot up option to repair now i cnt do anything,

Please help!! It took me ages to get rid of the viruses and now this :(

its windows xp home edition

Strawballs 00:19 28 Oct 2006

If your mum has only just got it can you not do a clean install

llollipoppi 00:22 28 Oct 2006

I can't do anything as it won't boot up

Gandalph 02:04 28 Oct 2006

You do not need the machine to boot up to do a clean install. When the BIOS splash screen comes on just after you power up, press delete to go into the BIOS and set your first boot device to CD. Select save then come out of the BIOS and do a re-start of the machine with the Windows CD ROM in the CD player, it will then start to install Windows OS. Just follow the installation instructions that come up on screen.

llollipoppi 09:51 28 Oct 2006

Hi, I hav discovered that it is an error with boot ini, and its not recognising the c: drive, the hard drive is still recognised in th bios though, any ideas, recovery hasnt solved this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:00 28 Oct 2006

You can edit the boot.ini file with any text editor (notepad) to read

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

you also require
NTDETECT.COM
ntdlr

All these files should be in the root of C:\ drive

llollipoppi 10:14 28 Oct 2006

Hi,

So do I just put theses files onto a cd (dont have a floppy and load the system from cd?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 28 Oct 2006

A repair install should replace all these files have you tried that yet?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

VoG II 10:35 28 Oct 2006

If that fails click here

llollipoppi 10:35 28 Oct 2006

Hi,

I dont have that cd, only a recovery cd which ghosts, and that was unsuccessful

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:52 28 Oct 2006

Is the computer your on now running XP if so copy the files from that PC to your other PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?