Hi, My mum bought a p.c off her friend and asked me to transfer all her stuff from her old one to her new one, the new one was riddled with viruses so i cleared them all using, spybot search and destroy, trojan hunter, spyhunter and avg. i then downloaded microsoft critical updates as this p.c is two years old but hasnt been used much, then rebooted, now it wont even boot into safemode, goed to the boot options selection screen but then just goes to winjdows loading screen, quick flash of a blue screen then back to rebooting, I have tried using recovery discs but its still the same, is there any way i can fix this?
I did manage to get into safemode once and changed the boot up option to repair now i cnt do anything,
Please help!! It took me ages to get rid of the viruses and now this :(
You do not need the machine to boot up to do a clean install. When the BIOS splash screen comes on just after you power up, press delete to go into the BIOS and set your first boot device to CD. Select save then come out of the BIOS and do a re-start of the machine with the Windows CD ROM in the CD player, it will then start to install Windows OS. Just follow the installation instructions that come up on screen.
You can edit the boot.ini file with any text editor (notepad) to read
[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
you also require NTDETECT.COM ntdlr
All these files should be in the root of C:\ drive
A repair install should replace all these files have you tried that yet?
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.