Windows and windows.0!!

xoc 19:52 05 Sep 2006

Following problems some months ago I had to reinstall windows xp pro and had a vague idea that the new system had installed alongside the original. This was really brought home to me today when I ran a little program called Tree Size on both windows and windows.0 to find that windows takes up 2.4 gb of my hard drive and windows.0 takes up 4 gb!!
I have set Tree Size to analyse both, but in seperate windows,which,when placed alongside each other clearly show that I have duplicate systems taking up a lot of disk space.
Can someone advise best method of getting rid of one system, preferably the older one as I have a lot more programs running on the later one.

howard63 21:08 05 Sep 2006

do you get a boot option with a no. of secs till one of them starts? if so you can alter the system to stop the other one showing and then delete it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 05 Sep 2006

Start -run - type msconfig - click on the boot.ini tab

[operating systems]

what exactly does it say?

xoc 22:26 05 Sep 2006

Howard63,
Yes, on startup both are listed and there is a 30 sec delay unless I click enter!
So how do I alter the system as you suggest?

Fruit Bat
ok it tells me that I have two systems Win & Win.0, and also shows the 30 secs delay.
Incidentally I tend to use Selective Start up, and have the minimum progs allowed to start.
Also the "Use the original boot.ini" is ticked, whilst the Modified Boot.ini is blacked out.
I have been advised elsewhere that I should do a clean reinstall, but would prefer not to have to do so, if I can find a way to get rid of the extra windows!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:11 05 Sep 2006

click check all boot paths,
reboot on completeion and i will now show which you are booting to.

delete the other windows folder.

howard63 20:17 06 Sep 2006

For multi-booting more than one operating system, modify the Boot.ini file
Published: February 4, 2002
Submitted by Riann Bañez, Los Angeles, California
Windows XP uses the Boot.ini file to determine the operating system options to display during the startup (boot) process. Boot.ini is set with the hidden and system file attributes and flagged as read-only by default.
Have you been changing Boot.ini lately? Are you tired of opening Folder Options, and clicking Show hidden files and folders on the View menu, so you can see Boot.ini in Windows Explorer? Or worse, did you forget to remove the read-only attribute before editing the file?
You can use the command-line tool, Bootcfg.exe, to quickly edit your Boot.ini file. You can modify the timeout (the amount of time Windows waits before choosing the default operating system), and add additional entries.
To start Bootcfg.exe
• Click Start, click Run, and then type cmd.
• Type bootcfg.exe
• Check out bootcfg.exe /? for more options.

howard63 20:19 06 Sep 2006

take to time down to zero seconds and the boot option is no longer available you can then delete the old file. You may have to do this in safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?